Sunday 5 April 2015

What If? :: Film Review


Romantic Comedies are my favourite genre of film. Anything from Notting Hill, to About Time, I love funny films with the element of romance thrown in. I was recently browsing the shelves of HMV and stumbled across What If?- I'd seen it advertised but never got around to watching it at the Cinema so was very excited to see what it was like.

I became obsessed witht the film pretty much as soon as I watched it, once it had finished I wanted to watch it all over again, which I think is a pretty clear indicator that this film is all kinds of wonderful. Set in Toronto it tells the story of Wallace who meets Chantry at a party and knows straight away that they are destined to be together. He is upset when he discovers that she has a long term boyfriend and so instead decides to be friends with her instead. The film follows both characters as they both develop feelings for each other while still trying to insist that they are better off as friends.

I thought this film was very reminiscent of 500 Days of Summer which is one of my favourite films of all time (I mean come on who didn't want to marry Joseph Gordon-Levitt after watching that film). It was very honest about relationships and the stuggles you have to go through to be with who you believe you are destined for. What I loved most about this film was the humour, it was very dry and sarcastic and the main protagonists were having banter with each other constantly throughout the film which I loved. It didn't feel forced or scripted at all which added to the honesty of this film.

All in all I adored this film and it has definitely gone up there in my top 10 films of all time. Have you watched What If?, if so what were your thoughts on it? Have you watched any other films that you've loved instantly recently, I'd love to hear your recommendations below!

7 comments:

  1. jessisratherstrange .5 April 2015 at 18:00

    Ooooh it looks good! I have never got round to watching this either, great review! x


    ratherstrangeblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Romantic comedy's are one of my favorite genres too! I will have to watch this movie soon. :D

    http://perlasancheza.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard so many great things about this movie. I guess I'll have to check it out. Great review.

    lejasmoment.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this movie before but i want to check it out now! 500 days of summer was a good movie. I wonder if this is on netflix? I'll need to check!

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had being wanting to watch this movie for ages & seeing this..I need to make time during the weekend.


    Mafer x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww gotta love Dan! I'll defo give this a go. Lovely post!

    shabna x x
    http://www.scheine.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. After reading your blog post on this, i definitely want to watch this film even more than i already do. like you, i've always seen it advertised but i've never got round to watching it, so this is definitely next on my list of films i need to see!
    Thankyou! :)

    http://girlcleft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete